Weight Loss Diet for Kids – Helping Your Child
Studies reveal that more and more children are becoming overweight. The number of overweight kids in America, Australia and United Kingdom keeps on rising. These reports are alarming and this issue has to be given due attention. Health experts are firm on their campaign for weight loss for kids.
Medical professionals are stressing out that overweight children are at risk in acquiring chronic diseases when they get older. About 80% of individuals who were obese during their childhood became overweight adults who suffer from serious illnesses.
The following are some health problems that obesity can bring about in children later in their lives:
- Eating disorders
- Liver disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Difficulty in breathing while asleep
- Heart disease and heart muscle disorder
- Foot structure deformation
- High blood pressure
What Makes a Child Overweight?
Many reasons contribute to obesity in children. Genetic factor is one reason. Other causes are lack of exercise and unhealthy eating habits. The choices that kids make when it comes to the food they eat are usually high in fat and sugar. They love to indulge in fast food products like burgers and fries, instead of fruits and vegetables. Today’s kids are also less active than the kids in the past. Instead of playing outdoors where they can burn fats, kids prefer to stay inside the house to play games on their computer. They spend so much time watching TV and they are so engrossed with their gadgets that they already find physical activities boring.There are also medical conditions that cause obesity and the most common is hormonal imbalance.
Parents play an important role in ensuring their children’s health. You have to look after your child’s weight and encourage him to do the same. You should be his source of information as to why it is important to take on a healthy lifestyle.
How Parents Should Cope with Their Child’s Obesity?
It is not difficult to say that your child is overweight. The symptoms can be seen by the naked eye. Take your child to a doctor and have his overall health condition examined. Your child’s body mass index will be measured and the result will be compared to the standard values. Through this procedure, you will be told whether or not your child is overweight. The doctor will then provide you with professional advice on how you can save your son or daughter from this condition.
Weight loss diet for kids is of extreme importance when trying to trim down your precious one’s waist line. It is not easy to encourage kids to eat the right food especially if they are not used to it. Therefore, parents are advised to be ready for this challenge and have their patience prepared for a test. Consider the following tips on weight loss diet for kids. These are a quick guide to an easier journey towards your child’s weight improvement.
- Be mindful of what you stock your kitchen with. Make your grocery list free from high-fat, high-sugar and salty items. Instead of these unhealthy edibles, go for more fruits and vegetables. You may include snacks like whole-grain crackers and low-fat yogurts.
- To encourage your child to patronize your idea of diet for kids, you have to be a little creative. Kids need plenty of calcium but they are not attracted to edibles rich in this nutrient. Try to excite them through food presentation. Make a sandwich of cheddar and omelette using whole-wheat English muffin. This is not just easy on the eyes but it also tastes good!
- Make eating fruits and vegetables a delightful experience. Why not make a dip so that indulging in it becomes more fun? There are many weight loss diet for kids recipes that you can find online. Take advantage of these sources and gradually make the little ones used to these stuff on your dining table.